HomeFamily LawMaintenance & Division of Assets


This refers to a court order that requires a person or persons to give at least a determined sum of money to an individual stated in that order.


The following is a list of people who are eligible to apply for maintenance:

  • A child whose parents have undergone a Singapore divorce
  • Any wife who has been neglected by the husband during marriage or separation
  • Any ex-wife


Maintenance for a child will usually expire when the child reaches his 21st birthday or when the child becomes financially independent. However, if the child suffers from any physical or mental disabilities, the maintenance order may continue until he recovers from that disability, even after he turns 21.


Under the law, both parents are required to pay maintenance to a child. The order may state that this sum of money to paid to the parent who has the custody of the child. The following considerations would be made by the judge when considering the amount of maintenance:

  • Education
  • Food
  • Lodging
  • Injury
  • Physical disability
  • Mental disability

For a wife / ex-wife, the judge will try to place them in the same standard of living if the marriage had not broken down. The following considerations would be made by the judge when considering the amount of maintenance:

  • Income of both parties
  • Financial needs of both parties
  • Obligations and responsibilities of both parties in the future
  • Age
  • Duration of marriage
  • Standard of living enjoyed during the marriage


Below is a rough outline if one wishes to apply for maintenance, or for the enforcement for an existing Maintenance Order. Note that the person applying for maintenance is referred to as the Complainant and the other person is the Respondent.


An appeal to the Judge of the High Court may be filed if one is not satisfied with the Maintenance Order. In order to file for an appeal, a Notice Of Appeal (Form 114) must be filled up in the Civil Registry of the Subordinate Courts. A sum of $2000 and $3000 has to be paid as security for the other party’s cost of appeal against a Magistrate’s Order and District Judge Order respectively.


One may file a Magistrate’s Complaint against a person who does not live in Singapore only if one knows the address of the respondent and the country the respondent resides in has made arrangements with Singapore regarding maintenance matters.
•   Divorce  
•   Maintenance & Division of Assets  
•   Custody of Children  
•   Separation Deed  
•   Annulment of Marriage  
"I engaged the service of Mr Godwin Campos when I went through my divorce from 2009 – 2012. Throughout the entire proceedings, Mr Campos had put much thought to the matter, provided guidance to me and enabled appropriate decisions to be made. I had the confidence and comfort that his professional advices were offered in my best interest and that gave me the peace of mind to begin the healing process to rebuild my life. I will strongly recommend him and his team to anyone who requires family law services."
- Tang Kwai Leng